Management Time Tip

Tips for Time Management, along with some guidlines to follow and easy to do exercises to keep you Time Managment under lock and key.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Management Time Tip - Eating Elephants

Management Time Tip - Eating Elephants
(not literally of course)

Recently it has come to my attention that even I am unable to follow some of my own guidelines and so I will describe what I did to fix them and save my time instead of waste it.

Recently I took on a rather big project it. I studied it, viewed examples, extrapolated some ideas, and got tons of information to help me run it as smooth as possible. However at the end of all my researching I had a huge problem.

I had attained all this information but I had not set up a plan for running it, no step 1. Thus I was in a bind, I had a huge wealth of information and no idea how to go about putting things in their proper place. Stuck in a frozen mind set and confused for the life of me nothing got done. Nothing got done for TWO whole days!

It was on the third day when I was discussing my dilemma when a colleague of mine reminded me that maybe I should just break things down into smaller parts and fully understand the first step before moving onto the next. Having all the information was good, it will allow me to continue moving forward but this way I will be able to START moving forward.

Once again I was reminded of the question, "How do you eat an elephant?" Wow, my elephant was huge, and all I was looking at was the elephant, the whole thing and wondering how in the world I was going to get it all done! How? Well one bite at a time of course.

By setting down and starting, and going no further than step 1, I was able to start moving forward, yes there was still a confused mass of research and information. But NOW I was no longer frozen, AND my project was moving forward. Now that I am a few steps down the road I realize once again how important it is to break things down, and take them one step at a time... or one bite if that's the case.

I hope this little reminder helps you to understand that if you have a huge project on your hand, just slow down. Look at step one, finish it completely, then move onto step two and don't look at the end until you are on your final step. Then you will be amazed, like I am, at the progress and amount of work that get done with just a simple step by step plan.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home